Pages

Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Picture Taking Adventures

To go along with the photography class, the best friend and I thought it would be fun to venture out with our cameras in hand. She had suggested that we go to Carkeek Park in Seattle. I am never one to turn down the beach, so off we went! Once we had arrived, we sat down to enjoy a picnic before starting our adventure. I love picnics. I would have one every day if I could.

The first thing that caught my eye were these pieces of glass. The water reflected perfectly on them.


She also thought it would be funny to photo bomb me! I didn't laugh. 


Okay, I laughed a little. 

Before heading to the beach, we first had to cross a bridge that went over the railroad tracks. I figured it wouldn't be a problem as I have done that sort of thing before. That was until we approached four million stairs that were GRATES! GRATES ARE MY WORST FEAR! What if I trip? What it my foot gets stuck? What if I FALL TO MY DEATH? With a little coaxing, I finally made it all the way down to the beach. My legs were shaking like a leaf and I probably had a mini stroke, but I did it.


We then wandered the beach and tried our hand at shooting in manual. It was harder than we thought! 


I could literally spend hours staring at the water. It is one of my favorite things to do. 


We even got the privilege of seeing a kite surfer in action. 




It was neat to hear the oohhs and ahhhs of the bystanders on the beach. It was a perfect day for kite surfing. The wind was powerful and really took him for a ride. It must take a lot of talent to do such activity. I can barely get a kite in the air. I could never imagine trying to fly one while surfing AND trying to do tricks. 

After spending a fair amount of time taking photos on the beach, we decided to make our way back to the car. Luck would have it that a train was coming just as we decided to leave. We ran as fast as we could on the sand in order to capture some pictures. 




Oh and those dreaded stairs? Wouldn't you know that once we got to the top, another train was coming!  Sometimes you have to throw your fear out the window in order to take photos. This was one of those times. We stood on that awful bridge and watched as the train went beneath us. You could feel the rumble of the train all throughout your body. I loved that the best friend pointed out that the train was hauling coal. We made sure to place our shirt over our face ensuring that we didn't breathe anything in. Better safe than sorry?


In need of a resting period, we decided to eat healthy and go to the local donut shop. How could we say no to some frozen hot chocolate and a cream filled donut?



After indulging in our treats, the best friend had suggested that we drive by the local cemetery for some more picture taking opportunities. This may seem odd to some, but have you ever stopped and looked at a cemetery? The atmosphere is calm and the scenery beautiful.



Seeing all of the Veteran's stones inspired me to start the process in honoring my father with one. I chose to go with a more personal burial when he passed. I am making it my goal to have this completed by his twenty year passing anniversary (October 2015).

Overall, we had an amazing day. It was long and I was tired towards the end, but I love all the photos we took. Best of all, I love the time that we spend together. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment