Pages

Saturday, October 5, 2013

Photography Class Week 4 August 26th

Lesson/week 4 was about learning how to tell a story through photography. This lesson was one of the longest offered with tons of material to study and learn. I had a hard time staying focused, however I did learn a lot. The key to telling a story through photos is to first capture the "big picture". Whether shooting a wedding, party or personal adventure. It is important to get a capture the entire area that you are visiting. (This is something I need to work on. I am great about capturing details, but forget to take "big" pictures.) Second, you should then focus on details, big and small. Lastly is to take photos of people involved, including yourself. I happen to love taking the photojournalism approach when it comes to photography. The key part in achieving this is to capture moments that are not posed. Take photos of what you see, without wasting time with trying to get the "perfect photo". The assignment was to tell a story with pictures.

I was torn on which "story" to tell for this weeks class, so I decided to turn in two!

I took these pictures while spending the day in Seattle with my ladies. It was fun to remember to take the 'big picture" while also remembering to capture detail with a photojournalist approach. Her comment was: "EEEEEEEEE!!! Love love love it Melissa! Oh man, I am really crushing on the produce shot and that balloon mask thingie is cool too! Seattle is such a great city!".
I also turned in photos from our Ice Caves adventure. I love how this truly told a story. The first photo is of the mountain we climbed, where you can barely see any snow. Then you see the enormity of the ice cave with a dash of detail thrown in. LOVE! I thought a collage was the best way to show the story without submitting numerous photos. Her comment was: "HOW COOL!! I especially love seeing all the tiny people in the shot there. Loving these details and the sun flare too!".
Overall, I am proud of myself for taking a photography class for four weeks! I not only learned a lot about photography, but I also learned a lot about myself and how to jump out of my comfort zone. Although the class was free and did not offer as much as a paid class, I felt as though I learned some helpful tips along the way.

*I would also like to add that none of the photos submitted for class had been edited!*

Oh and a big shout out goes to my furry friend for always supporting me during note taking.






0 comments:

Post a Comment