Pages

Sunday, October 13, 2013

Eagles and Ducks...Oh my!

This year was all about crossing things off of our bucket list. When summer had just begun the best friend informed me that my favorite band in the entire world, The Eagles were coming to town. THE EAGLES! We are talking about the Hotel California, Life in the Fast Lane, Desperado band! I HAD to go, there were no if, ands, or buts about it. I would mortgage my home, sell a kidney and even auction off my first born. I counted down the days until tickets went on sale. When the day came, I was sad to see that the tickets were costly, way more than I had to spend. Not wanting to pass up this opportunity, the best friend surprised me with tickets and so generously let me pay her back at a later time.


Before this year, I had only been to a hand full of concerts. The list goes as follows:

Dixie Chicks
Insane Clown Posse
Tweet
Rob Zombie
Wu-Tang Clan

Be jealous of my concert selection ;) Can you tell that I like a variety of music? You can imagine my excitement to add Bruno Mars, Melissa Etheridge and REO Speedwagon to that list this past summer. Aside from Journey, Pink and Rhianna, The Eagles are one of those on my concert bucket list. I remember driving around in my brother's Camaro, wearing our ray-bans and blasting The Eagles. I give all credit to him for my great taste in music.  Not knowing how much longer The Eagles will be touring, I felt the urgency to go see them.

Knowing that we would be spending a majority of the day in Seattle for the concert, we decided to cross one more things off the bucket list while there. Ride the ducks! Seattle is known for having an amphibious vehicle that takes you on a tour of the city. I have always wanted to go! We decided to book it for the same day as the concert, making the most out of our time in the city.


We had the entire summer to prepare for this epic day. As time got closer, I was a little apprehensive about going on the duck tour. After all, I hate the water AND riding in boats. What was I thinking? As the best friend would say...YOLO!  You only live once. Be adventurous and make lasting memories while we can, right? The day soon arrived and my anxiety could not have been any higher. As we boarded the boat/car I was surprised to see that the best friend was the one to have a panic attack!


She had a hard time composing herself before our departure. I do have to say, that she did a great job of distracting me. My nervousness went right out the window as I basked in the enjoyment of watching her laugh and cry all at the same time. Maybe this was her tactic all along? Either way, it worked like a charm.


It was also comforting to see the large selection of life preservers overhead. 
Before we knew it, we were heading on our way. The captain was approximately 7 feet tall and looked to be twelve years old. His name was "Han Soslo". It would take me entirely too long to tell you about the whole tour, but I will include some of the highlights. We knew we were in for a fun time when the first thing we had to do was to make a U-turn (twice) in our large boat/car and the captain blasted "Right Round" on the speakers. The tour was almost two hours long. We got to see some historical things around Seattle including the Space Needle, the water front and the famous car wash where Elvis had is Cadillac washed twice a day while visiting! Being that we are the coffee capital of the world, we made sure to yell "CHA-CHING" every time we passed a Starbucks (there is one on each corner in Seattle, literally).

Seattle is not know for being the most friendliest of places. We used our little quackers to grab the attention of people walking along the sidewalks. Some people shot us a friendly hand wave and a smile, while other glared and scowled our way. The captain thought it would be fun for us to show them our anger by using "Viking tools" to express ourselves. Our tools were Badminton racks. Super intimidating.


We sang "Call Me Maybe" to passerbys in hopes of getting a number for our cute captain. Oh and that famous car wash? We got someone to get down on the ground and break dance for us! We saw a homeless person with a sign that read "Sugar Mama Needed". We proceeded to dance and sing our way all around town.



Soon enough, we were approaching the water portion of the tour. My heart skipped a beat as we got closer. Expressing my concern to the captain, he handed me an oar. Not kidding.


We are getting good at this whole "selfie" thing. 

It was all fun and games until a professional rowing team passed us and shot me a dirty look when I flung the oar out the window and tried to keep up with them. Some people just don't enjoy humor. I have to admit that the water was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The water was calm and our boat/car maxed out at 5 miles per hour. We got to drive by Gasworks Park and also saw the famous Sleepless in Seattle house boat. Before long, we were out of the water and making our way back. I had never laughed so hard in my life. It was an adventure that I will remember for a lifetime.


We then grabbed a bite to eat before heading to the concert. I have a hard time finding the right words to describe the concert. It was PERFECT. They sang amazing live. Some people said that they sang just as good as they did back in the 70's! The concert was three hours long and had three different encores. The guitar solos were jaw dropping. And the way Joe Walsh used that mouth guitar was enough to bring me to my knees. Instead of boring you with details, I will attach videos for your enjoyment.


 

This day was one that I will always remember and cherish. It could not have gone any better and I am sure it will be hard to top.

0 comments:

Post a Comment