Pages

Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving has come and gone, Black Friday shopping is done and the fridge is filled with leftovers! Yesterday was the first Thanksgiving that the husband and I had ever done ourselves and in our new house! Let me tell you...it was the best Thanksgiving I had ever had in my whole entire life. I have never felt that much love at the dinner table before. We started the morning {got dressed in our pajamas, why get dressed up? It's more fun to be comfortable!!} getting the turkey ready, a friend of ours was going to be joining us later to celebrate with us. When she arrived we made her get into her pajamas also and had chocolate milk and doughnuts while watching the Thanksgiving parade {the parade was disappointing, but we watched it anyway}. We played some board games during the afternoon while the turkey cooked and made some snacks, deviled eggs, cream cheese filled black olives and meat wraps {husband makes the meat wraps, they are sooo good, lunch meat, cream cheese and a pickle}. We played some more games and then got dinner ready. Rolls, corn, stuffing, gravy, potatoes, salad, sparkling cider and of course the turkey!


We sat at the dinner table and said what we were thankful for. {it was right there in that moment that time stood still and I saw the love in my husband's eyes that he had for me, we were in fact our own little family and it was exciting to start our own traditions!} I said I was thankful for the things I have been through this last year because I have grown as a person and have learned who I am and who I want to be. Even though some things were hard to deal with, I know that everything truly does happen for a reason. We cleaned up the dishes and popped in a movie, had pie and ice cream, then headed to bed. I will forever be grateful for my husband and the amazing holiday we had. I was upset that we were not welcomed by my family for the holiday {they don't like the drama betweem me and my sister, although I do not cause the drama, because she has children and they do not want to upset her by inviting me, it makes it easier for me to take a back seat and not go...this upsets me more than anyone knows but I just suck it up and move on} I was angry that they got to sit around the table together but yet we were left to be by ourselves. It wasn't until last night that I finally saw that we are our own family, we don't need to go anywhere that we do not feel welcome. We don't just have a house, we have a home and I cannot wait to carry on the tradition of having our Thanksgiving's together in our home. I love the little family we have become. I will no longer dwell on "not fitting in" for the family and friends whom are no longer a part of our lives, are not there for a reason. Being happy under your roof and having love for those who matter is the key to life. I am thankful I have this understanding now. Cannot wait for next year to do this again. Happy Thanksgiving!!


0 comments:

Post a Comment