Pages

Monday, January 27, 2014

Taco Pizza

I have been trying my best to incorporate at least one "new" meal into our weekly dinner menu. I don't want our dinners to get boring and we enjoy trying new things. My latest creation was found on Pinterest of course. We love everything taco related and thought a pizza would be fun. It tasted great even with the healthier options!

Ingredients needed:

8 pack of burrito sized flour or wheat tortillas
1 can fat free refried beans
1/4 cup chicken broth
Taco seasoning
2 cups Mexican shredded cheese
1 cup of monterrey jack and sharp cheese grated
Canola oil for frying tortillas
1 small can of mild enchilada sauce (we are sissies and do not like spicy)
1 can of sliced olives
1/4 cup sliced green onion
1 8oz package of cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat)
1.5 lbs ground turkey (we no longer cook with beef)


I first placed the oil and tortillas in a frying pan to get them a little crispy on each side. Once the tortillas were done, I threw them onto a cookie sheet lined with aluminum foil. <-- important. I then spread the cream cheese and beans (did you know that adding chicken broth to the beans will make it more creamy and bring out the flavor better?) evenly across the tortilla. Top with the meat (with taco season mixed in) and some of the enchilada sauce generously placed across the meat. Then throw a handful of cheese on top. 


I then placed another tortilla down and topped it with the cheese mixture, olives and green onions. 


Bake @ 400 degrees until cheese is melted. 5-10 minutes. 


I garnished with some shredded lettuce, Mexican sour cream and a scoop of white rice. I made two pizzas which ended up being more than enough for the husband and I. We even had enough ingredients leftover to make more taco pizzas the following night. Success! 



0 comments:

Post a Comment