Pages

Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Leaving the Comfort Zone

Rachel had just purchased her first DSLR camera a few weeks back, we thought it would be fun to go on some adventures and see what photo ops awaited us! The weather was perfect! In the high 70's (which is nice for Seattle!) the sun was shining, the cameras were charged and the picnic basket packed...off we went!

Before we had left I said to my husband "I really hope to get some rail road pictures!". Well little did I know, every where we went the tracks were fenced off. We headed to the beach, we knew there were some neat rail road tracks there, but were not sure if they too were fenced off. To our dismay, they were. We got busy taking pictures of the water, watching ferries take off and enjoying the warmth of the day. Rachel had noticed that some people were up on the tracks, how did they get there? We followed close behind and saw that they were climbing rocks where there was no fence! A little side note, I am the biggest chicken you will ever meet! I do not like heights, climbing things, getting dirty...well I don't like going out of my comfort zone at all what so ever. Rachel climbed those rocks so fast, she made it look easy! A few minutes after she got to the tracks a train was coming!! I could tell that she was a little frightened, there was no way I was going to go up there with her!


In my head I kept hearing myself say over and over how badly I had wanted to get these photos, it wouldn't be the same if she took them on her camera! So up I went! I climbed all the way to the top with a little help. My heart was beating so hard I felt like it was going to jump out of my chest, my palms were sweaty, this was indeed the scariest thing I had ever done in my life. I laid down on the tracks to get the shots I had been dreaming about.




Next thing I heard was "Hurry up! A train is coming!". I have never gotten up so fast in my life. I tried to take some really neat pictures, but the rush and sound of the train froze me, like my feet were glued to the ground. I did however get one really good one!

Look how close we were!

I had done something I never thought I would have done. I felt on top of the world! I could have conquered anything at this point! Now was the climb down...that was a whole different story. The rocks were big and I felt like I had no where to put my feet, the tide was coming in and there wasn't much beach left to walk on once we got down. I thought I would never see the beach again, I would die, shriveled up right there on the rocks for the crows to come and get. This was it, I was going to die...but at least my husband would have some neat pictures to look at! With the help from my dear friend, I finally got down, after a mild panic attack, yelling, some tears and a little bit of hyperventilating. I will forever have these memories to look back and be proud for leaving my comfort zone and I will cherish these pictures for the rest of my life. Thank you Rachel for encouraging me, I couldn't have done it without you.

I came home and told my husband all about it! He was so proud (and of course a little mad that we did something so dangerous!) and he loved the pictures. I told my friend about our adventure and this is what he wrote to me...

"Awesome. It's good to push your comfort zone a little bit. Just don't push it too far. I am so proud of you. Bravery is recognizing fear but pushing past it to get the task accomplished. You should make a print of one of your shots today and hang it where you see it everyday. It will remind you how strong you are. You rock babe. Love and miss ya."


Made my day!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment