Pages

Monday, May 23, 2011

My Best Friend

I wanted to start by telling you about the happiest day of my life. The day I married my best friend. 10.10.10. We had been together for ten years and we started dating in October so October 10, 2010 couldn't have been any more perfect for our wedding day! I wanted to start off with our wedding story so you will know who he is because I will be talking about him lots! We have been together since I was sixteen years old. I never knew love could be this amazing. We got married on the beach and said our vows in a lighthouse, it was warm that day (Surprising for October in Washington!) and the sun was shinning, the water was calm and the air was crisp. We had a lot of drama leading up to this more than perfect day -we will get to that later-  besides the ceremony being one hour later than we had expected and the photographer showing up in a neck brace, everything turned out amazing. It truly was the most happiest day of my life. I cannot wait to spend the rest of my life with him, as Hallmark as it might sound, he has completed my life.

The ocean has always been a special place to me. I have been going there to vacation since I was a kid. When we started dating we started going on vacation together to enjoy the water and relax. Throughout the years we went as often as we could. In August of 2009 we took a mush needed getaway to the ocean. The weather had not been great but we made sure to make the best of it. Towards the end of our trip the weather let up and it was almost 80 degrees! We spent all day in the sun and even had a picnic on the beach. Back at the cabin, he fell asleep on the couch for a little cat nap. It was almost sunset, so I walked down to the water to catch the view. As I took my last photo of the sunset I turned around to see him on his knee proposing to me!! Does it get any better than this?!

We decided on a date that night and the planning begun. We decided right away that we did not want a big wedding. As we talked more, we decided that eloping would be the best option for us. Neither one of us have a great family life -Bet you can't wait to hear all about that!- and we were worried about drama and the chaos that happens when one gets married. We knew that our wedding day was most important for us and celebrating our ten years together and making a commitment for the rest of our lives was all that mattered. We right then knew that we only wanted it to just be us two on our special day.

 Eloping = less to do...right? HA! I wish. It took almost all of the next year to get everything into place. We also were in the middle of buying our first home at the time too, so it was really hectic. I don't recommend buying a home and planning your wedding at the same time! I think my first grey hair transpired from this. We did all the planning by ourselves, as we thought that since we were eloping, friends and family wouldn't really feel the need to help. Wish I would have know that they felt different, it would have been nice to have some help. As the months went by I could tell that my family and some friends were starting to feel left out. I never had any intentions of doing that. My sister in law threw me an amazing bridal shower. I felt so girly and ready to tie the knot! We invited almost 90 people, which to much of my disappointment about twenty showed up. Only four of them being family. Ouch. Maybe I really upset them by eloping, but this is about us not them! My friends threw me a bachelorette night as well, which will for sure go down in the record books!

It was Friday, two days before the big day. We were headed to the ocean, about three hours from where we live. As we were getting ready to leave early in the morning I received some text messages from my sister (whom you will later realize is the route to all evil and I swear her goal in life is to ruin mine) the one that sticks out in my mind the most is "Wow, you really are a fucked up person". In her drug/alcohol induced state (yes, she is an addict. Wayyy more to come on that subject) she had thought we were having a big wedding but not including her. I tried to call her and understand why she would send these horrible messages to me, but to no avail as she had blocked my number. Mature huh? And you will find it really funny that she is twelve years older than me!

Off to the beach we went. Long story short, don't want to bore you anymore! We got to the ocean and it seems as though we left all the drama back home! Yay! As the next couple days went on more and more people we knew (eleven in total) showed up in town to surprise us for our big day. I was honesty shocked but so happy that these few people came all this way and must really care about us and wanted nothing more than to see us commit to each other, and for this I can say that I am so thankful they got to see our smiles :]

We said our vows, released butterflies in the sky, took breath taking photos on the beach and had a huge (when I say huge, I mean HUGE, seriously this pizza was like four feet around!) pizza dinner with everyone who came. I caught myself looking at the expressions on their faces and seeing how much love they had for us and that it meant a lot for them to be there for our wedding day. It had been such a long time since I had felt this much love. Little did I know, this feeling wouldn't last long...










0 comments:

Post a Comment