Pages

Friday, May 31, 2013

Decorative Onions

We have a large area by the front door that is covered in bark and not much else. When we had the house built, the landscapers had planted three large bushes in this spot. They died soon after we had moved in. My intentions were to re-plant some bushes to add curb appeal and make it look less empty. Last year I had found some discounted tulip plants and figured they would look better than some plain ol bushes. (Post coming soon about their progress.)

While I was at the grocery store awhile back, I had seen a display of flower bulbs. I could not resist and quickly found myself piling some in my cart. It would later catch up with me that I did not pay attention to read the different types of flowers that I was picking. I could not wait to get home and plant them with the tulips. This would be my new garden and I would try my best at utilizing my green thumb. 

I followed the directions on the box and before long, my new flowers were sprouting through the ground. While the husband and I were outside tending to the new garden, he had mentioned that there was a strong odor of onions outside. I dismissed his foolish claim. A few days later, a friend of ours stopped by and upon opening the front door she exclaimed "WHOA! It sure smells like onions out here!".  Curiosity got the best of me. I dug through the garbage in hopes of finding the discarded flower bulb boxes. Once I found them, I read frantically to see what they were called. There it was...smack dab on the front of the box...DECORATIVE ONIONS!

See my cute gnome?! He is to ward off all the salsa-eating people who may want to steal my onions. 

I planted decorative onions in my garden?! I do have to admit that past the teary eyes and strong smell, they sure do look pretty.


0 comments:

Post a Comment