Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

Rachel

I have mentioned her in a few of my posts now. She is an amazing person, inside and out. I could not imagine not having her in my life. I met her when I was two; in my car seat in the back of my parents Pinto. HA! She was my sisters best friend. She always came to our family gatherings, holidays, vacations and birthday parties. I remember her all throughout my childhood, her and my sister were really close. She got pregnant around the same time my sister did not too long after they finished high school. She would come to our house with her pregnant belly and we would talk about how excited we were because she was having a girl! I really liked her and loved when she would bring her kids over. There was an age gap between us, I considered her a family friend, she was my sisters best friend.

Around the time I was taking care of the boys, she started coming over and hanging out with us. We would take the kids to the lake or the park, we would do crafts and bake, have movie night. I really enjoyed the time we were spending together and how much closer we were getting. Because she was coming to my sister's house more often she was beginning to see the changes in my sisters behavior and the lifestyle she was starting to live. Rachel began seeing the drug use, the late night hours and the variety of men that were coming around. We were planning a surprise birthday party for my sister, I had called Rachel so we could go over the details and what not. Soon I found myself calling her more often than not. I started by apologizing for my sister's actions, which I now know it is not my place to apologize for her. We started enjoying our phone conversations, it was nice to have someone understand what I was going through, she understood how crazy my sister's life had turned into and the things I had to deal with. She supported me and would listen to me whenever I needed an ear. We became closer than I ever thought possible.



I had invited Rachel to come along to our ocean vacation, it would be like old times! We all know how that trip turned out, I feel bad to this day that she had to go through that, that her kids had to see the craziness of an addict. I hate that my sister made her feel uncomfortable and not welcome on our vacation, they had been friends for twenty five years or more, it was beyond me why my sister was treating her "best friend" this way. Things really changed after that trip. That is when I feel we formed our friendship the way it is today. Rachel has shown me what a real sister is like. She has given me love more than anyone in my family ever has. She knows everything I have gone through, she was there when my parents divorced and when my dad passed away. She has never judged me or made me feel beneath her, the way my sister has. Rachel was there to guide us on our way to owning a home. She held my hand when I got married. She has guided me through my life and been there every step of the way. I wish every one could have a Rachel in their life. I will forever be grateful for her. I know we did not start out as friends and I know it is really hard for her to have to end her friendship of over twenty years with my sister, but I would go through that all over again just to have this friendship we have built.


I love you Rachel!

0 comments:

Post a Comment