Pages

Friday, June 17, 2011

Capturing The Moment

My dad always had a camera around his neck, taking pictures was his passion. He passed this love of photography onto my brother who now is the one having a camera on him at all times no matter what the occasion. When I was in high school I took photography classes, learning to process my own 35mm film and how to use a dark room. Taking pictures was fun, but I loved knowing that I could develop my own film and watch a piece of paper turn into a photo I had taken. I knew that photography had to be somewhere in my bones but did not pursue it much further. For my twenty first birthday my brother bought me my first digital point and shoot camera. My husband and I really took a liking into getting into taking pictures and soon we found ourselves with the camera on us all the time asking people to smile! Right before the wedding we decided to invest in a more advanced camera and bought our first DSLR, although spendy, we thought since we were eloping that we would at least be able to take some really nice photos and be able to look back at them and cherish the memories we made, would be all worth the investment. We did not know much on how to work this new fancy camera, but we were willing to learn!

A few months after we purchased the camera, a friend of mine had asked if I could take pictures of her and her family because they were going to a family reunion and they wanted an updated picture to pass around and show people. I thought she had absolutely lost her mind! Why would she want me to take pictures for her?? I am not that good! I am definitely not a professional. This put a lot of pressure on me, I lacked the confidence in myself to think that I could do a good enough job. What if she didn't like any of the photos I took? I grabbed my camera and headed to her house, I figured I might as well get my feet wet and try, whats the worse that could happen? What if they turn out pretty amazing?


Not too bad! I was extremely happy with how the pictures turned out. She loved them all! I posted my favorite ones of her family that I took and posted them on my Facebook. Soon thereafter another friend of mine had asked if I would take pictures for her too at a local park! I was still nervous, but not as bad as the last time. Off to the park we went..


I was starting to get a lot more confidence in myself. I was so proud to be able to take such wonderful photos for my friends, and seeing how happy they were with the result, put a smile on my face and gave me the feeling of accomplishment. Maybe this will be something more than just a hobby? I was really starting to have fun! Next things I knew, another friend of mine asked me to take her engagement pictures. This made me a little uneasy because this was my first paid photo session and I felt more pressure to do my best work ever.


We had such a fun time taking their engagement pictures! Over two hours at the park. They had brought their dog, a St. Bernard. I had never taken pictures of pets before, let along a dog that had to have been bigger than me! Who would have thought that his pictures would turn out so good??


They were so happy with how the pictures turned out that they used them on their Save The Date cards and on a custom made Jones soda bottle!


They asked me to be the photographer for their wedding this coming July! I went to the rehearsal yesterday to see the venue, I am really excited for this opportunity. I never would have thought that my interest in photography would turn into me being a photographer for a friends wedding. This makes me feel important and is giving me the confidence I have always longed for. Stay tuned for the wedding photos!

I also got the opportunity to take pictures for the March of Dimes. The friend that I took the engagement pictures for works for the March of Dimes and asked if I could take photos for some events they had coming up. So far I have done their VIP luncheon kick off and the actual march itself. What an honor to be a part of such an amazing organization! March for babies!


I recently went to a DSLR class and am attending a photo shop class next month. I learned SO much but also know I have a ton more to learn. I do not know what the future holds, although I do know that photography has become a huge part of my life. I will forever be thankful that my father passed along his passion to my brother and me. Thank you Dad!

"Life is like photography. You use the negatives to develop."

0 comments:

Post a Comment