Pages

Saturday, August 25, 2012

Busy Bee

I had a complete panic attack when I looked at the calendar last week and saw that summer was almost over! Where did the time go?? There were so many things that I wanted to do this summer and feel like I didn't get to check anything off. I figured while the weather was still good, I should try to squeeze in as many things as I could. My 'summer bucket list' was in full effect last week.


Near where my mom lives is a movie theater called the Cinnebare. It is a theater/restaurant that is 21+ only and serves great food and drinks while watching your movie. My mom was in need of a pick me up and has always wanted to go, so I picked her up and headed to the theater. She wanted to see Hope Springs. Oh my God! It was the most uncomfortable thing ever. My mom was the youngest person there besides me, the whole theater was full of grandmas. *Spoiler alert* For those of you who have not seen the movie, there happens to be a scene in which Meryl Streep "pleasures" herself. Cue the nervous laughter and me wanting to crawl under my seat! The food was good though, and my mom loved it there. Every Tuesday is $5 movies and on Sundays, seniors get to see a movie for $5. She said she cannot wait to go back!


Afterwards, we swung by a local farmers market. It was really neat! Most of the stuff there were fresh fruit and vegetables, which were priced really good and looked delicious. The other half was like a huge garage sale, there was so much to look at and I felt a little overwhelmed. I scored {brand new in the box} net Christmas lights for a bush for only one dollar. I sure have been finding some good bargains this summer for Christmas decorations, it will be nice to have it all when the holidays are here. By the way, only four more months until Christmas! AHHHH! Most of all, I loved all the beautiful flowers. The boquets were colorful and huge! And the best part?? Only F-I-V-E dollars! Woot woot.


I had promised my niece that I would take her out for the day, so I chose Friday to go on our adventure. We started our day at the Kangaroo Farm. The price to get in was only seven dollars and it was not too long of a drive to get there, I thought it would be a lot of fun and something that we would never forget. I was not sure what to expect...maybe seeing a couple kangaroos behind a fence? Boy was I wrong! You get to go on a 40 minutes tour where you learn things about the different animals that are there. While you are walking around the farm, the animals are roaming around...NOT BEHIND FENCES! They are right there, in front of you! You even had to be careful where you were stepping so that you did not step on a kangaroo tail, a duck or a turtle even. It was so cool! I have been to the zoo plenty of times and love seeing all the animals, but this was so neat being able to be right there with them and feeing them bread. We got to see/feed donkeys, ducks, lemurs, llamas, turtles, horses and of course the kangaroos. We did not get to feed the turkeys, ostriches or the mini horse, because they bite!  It did however stink really bad and because it is summer, there were a trillion kids there. I would love to go back with a smaller group and shoes that I don't care to get dirty.


Towards the end of the tour, the tour guide informed us that if we "kissed" the llama we could get a free bumper sticker. Now, I love more than anything to get free things, but this was something that I was not willing to do. My niece begged and pleaded with me to do it and even made me pinkie swear that if she did it, that I would have to do it also. She gave a good guilt trip. She had asked me to go first, and being the adult, I figured I should. It was the worst thing ever! His teeth were huge and yellow and were approaching my face at a fast speed. I think he even nipped my lip! Actually, my mouth still tasted like hand sanitizer as I sit here and type this. Oh and by the way...she backed out and was too scared to kiss him. Seriously? I refuse to put that bumper sticker on my car!


After the farm, we went to the river to have a picnic, then went to the frozen yogurt shop before heading home. I got pineapple and pink lemonade flavor. It sounded really good and refreshing, but was super sour!!



Even though I was exhausted, I woke up Saturday morning eager to start our day! The weather was in the mid seventies and because our weather is so unpredictable, we thought we should head to the beach. I have wanted to go to the beach all summer long. I love to sit and listen to the waves crash, feel the sun on my skin and sand on my feet. I feel so relaxed by the water and don't have a worry in the world. I have had a lot on my mind recently and needed a break! We packed the cooler and chairs and made our way to the beach. The whole day was absolutely amazing. The drive there way fun with the windows down and the music blaring. We got to the beach and set up a nice little spot, we had borrowed a beach umbrella, but it didn't cover us very well. The left side of the husband got burnt and the sun got my right side. haha! We ate lunch on the beach and watched the boats going by and the kids playing in the water.



The beach that we went to, also had a lighthouse! I have seen the lighthouse before but have never been inside of it. We had seen lots of other people going in and out of it and thought we would go see how much it cost to get in. To our delight, it was free to go on a tour, but donations were encouraged. There were not too many stairs to walk up, but once you got to the top it was really claustrophobic! Only six people could fit in there at once. My legs started shaking a little and my food felt like it was going to come up at any moment. The view was amazing and we learned a lot about the lighthouse! It was built in 1902 and the light that is up top was had made in the 1800's and still works to this day! The light bulb inside is really, really small. But because of the way the glass is made, it shines really bright for all the boats to see. This specific light shines for two seconds on and then three seconds off. Each lighthouse has a specific amount of time that it shines so that the boats can look at the timing and tell what lighthouse they are passing. Pretty interesting! We had a blast taking pictures, but I was ready to get back to the bottom.



Before going back to the car, we saw a little ice cream shop down the street and ran as fast as we could. We both picked out a waffle cone with swirled chocolate and vanilla soft serve ice cream. It was like heaven in my mouth. It really cooled us off and made the walk back to the car not as horrible.

I could not have asked for a better day. I finally felt like we were enjoying the summer! I am sad to think that it is almost over. I have a few more activities planned and hope that I get a little more tan before hibernating for the winter. Until next time!

0 comments:

Post a Comment