Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

Ugly Sweater/Baking Party!

Last Friday I had decided to host an ugly sweater baking party, mostly because I was tired of moping around being upset that my friends former friends were having holiday parties and it being rubbed in my face that I was clearly not invited. I cannot be upset that I am no longer invited to such things, I need to start hosting my own! {Which would be more fun and drama free anyways} Only problem? Who the hell would I invite? I don't have many friends anymore! So the invite went out {via Facebook post, because I am classy like that} the snacks were made {meat and cheese tray, pico with sour cream and chips, deviled eggs and cake batter dip with animal crackers and Nilla wafers!} the ugly sweater was on and goodies were ready to be made. Rachel showed up walking through the door with a cup full of Jamba. She seriously is the best thing ever. Andie walked in not too far behind. Rachel was wearing a Christmas shirt adorned with three rhinestone snowmen and Andie didn't wear anything ugly {party pooper} and I had borrowed a Christmas sweater from my mom that she thought was nice and looked "festive" it was perfect for my ugly sweater party, she asked that I please give it back to her in time to wear to work for the holiday haha! I opted for a baking party rather than a cookie party where you have to bring already made treats. Figured this would be more fun and we would get to spend some fun girl time together! It actually was a good idea, I think we had fun.



The kitchen was a mess and the floor littered with sprinkles but the treats tasted good and we really enjoyed ourselves. I made cake pops and frosting filled graham crackers, Rachel made white chocolate bark and sugar cookies and Andie made no bake cookies. My friend Kristy and her daughter stopped by later to enjoy our treats and visit. I will be making this a tradition and hosting a party like this every year! I was a little upset that not many people came, but think that three people in the kitchen baking was just the right amount without being too crowded.

My ugly sweater...it even had bells!

Rachel's ugly Christmas shirt
The cake pops that I made did not turn out how I thought they would. They were not hard to make though.

You will need:


  • 1 (14.25 oz) box cake mix, any flavor {I used yellow cake mix}




  • 1 (16 oz) tub frosting, any flavor  {I used classic vanilla}




  • 2 (12 oz) packages of candy melts any color




  • Lollipop sticks {I used mini candy canes}




  • First you have to make a cake, just follow the directions on the back of the box.

    Let the cake cool completely, place on a cooling rack for faster results.
    When cake is cooled put the cake into a large mixing bowl and add one container of frosting.

    Mix the cake and frosting together with hands, you could use a spoon but I felt that with my hands it was easier, although very messy. When mixed, form the mixture into balls, you want to make small balls because you will be dipping them later and the bigger they are, they harder it will be to coat.

    Dip the end of a sucker stick {can purchase at any craft or party store} into your baking chocolate {also purchased at the craft store} and place the sticks into the formed balls and put into fridge over night.


    Melt candy coating as directed and coat the cake pops entirely. Add sprinkles if desired :)


    I do have to say that I think they look super cute. I feel as though the cake itself could be a little more firm, maybe put less frosting into mixture? Because I had used candy canes instead of sticks when I had placed the cake pops into the fridge over night the candy canes became sticky. Very disappointing. And they are not very easy to coat! They kept falling off the candy cane, so I set them in bowl and spooned the coating on. This however was my first time making cake pops, I will give them another try and see how it goes.

    Lastly I will include the cake batter dip recipe! This was a big hit and really yummy :) I did not get any pictures though. Sad face.

    You will need:


  • 1 package (about 18 Oz. Size) Cake Mix, Any Flavor {I used Funfetti}




  • 1-½ cup Plain Yogurt




  • 2 cups Cool Whip




  • In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients and mix until smooth and creamy. Chill for at least 1 hour before serving with your favorite crackers or fruit. This will store up to 3 days in the refrigerator.
    I served with animal crackers, graham crackers and Nilla wafers, the wafers were the best!

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment