Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11, 2011

September eleventh two thousand one is a day many of us will never forget; it feels as though it all happened yesterday. One day I hope to visit New York and see the amazing memorial they have made. Washington state was fortunate to receive pieces of steel from ground zero, one of those pieces was given to a firehouse located eight miles from our house. The husband and myself went to the unveiling yesterday. Words cannot express the emotions I had. I was angry that this event had happened in the first place, but at the same time I was thankful that we had the privilege of seeing and touching this artifact, it felt as though after ten years we finally had some closure.


As I was kneeling down to take a photo, a little boy {six or seven years old} had asked me "Where is this from?" I told him it was from the World Trade Center in New York. He then asked "Did all the buildings fall down?" I told him that yes, indeed a few buildings had fallen down, but not all of them. His next question was "And it squished all the people?" As I hung my head I responded "Yes, it did." As he walked away from me with the look of sorrow on his face it took everything I had to hold back my tears.


"There are things that we don't want to happen but have to accept, things we don't want to know but have to learn, and people we can't live without but have to let go."

0 comments:

Post a Comment